Senior Employee Relations Consultant
Posted on: March 18, 2023
When you join the team at Unum, you become part of an
organization committed to helping you thrive.Here, we work to
provide the employee benefits and service solutions that enable
employees at our client companies to thrive throughout life's
moments. And this starts with ensuring that every one of our team
members enjoys opportunities to succeed both professionally and
personally. To enable this, we provide:
- Award-winning culture
- Inclusion and diversity as a priority
- Performance Based Incentive Plans
- Competitive benefits package that includes: Health, Vision,
Dental, Short & Long-Term Disability
- Generous PTO (including paid time to volunteer!)
- Up to 9.5% 401(k) employer contribution
- Mental health support
- Career advancement opportunities
- Student loan repayment options
- Tuition reimbursement
- Flexible work environments
- All the benefits listed above are subject to the terms of their
individual Plans.And that's just the beginning---With 10,000
employees helping more than 39 million people worldwide, every role
at Unum is meaningful and impacts the lives of our customers.
Whether you're directly supporting a growing family, or developing
online tools to help navigate a difficult loss, customers are
counting on the combined talents of our entire team. Help us help
others, and join Team Unum today!General Summary:General
The Senior Employee Relations position delivers a high level of
expertise at all levels within an assigned client area.
Professionals serve in a consultative role by providing advice,
guidance and coaching to different levels of management on
performance, EEO and employee relations issues. The primary focus
of their role is to build expertise in managers that they are
coaching and work with leaders to identify trends and themes to
make recommendations to support business strategies and objectives.
They are responsible for the investigation and management of all
employment related complaints. The Sr. Employee Relations position
is responsible for understanding and balancing the needs of the
business and our clients, while ensuring practical, consistent
application of HR policies and practices to limit risk
Due to the often-complex issues to be resolved, this position has
significant impact on the manager-employee relationship, and on the
work environment and plays a key role in the success of the
organization. This Sr. Employee Relations Consultant minimizes
legal exposure for the Company as a result of effective employee
relations consultation and knowledge of employment laws, HR
policies and high level of employee relations expertise.
In addition to their primary role, they also provide a
training/mentoring role for less experienced consultants. They are
recognized as the subject matter experts. A collaborative
partnership exists between the Senior Employee Relations Consultant
and HR Business Partner. Pertinent information and expertise are
exchanged on a timely basis thereby facilitating the success of
client and organization initiatives. The Sr. Employee Relations
Consultant works closely with the HR Business Partners and business
areas to provide risk assessment and support through the
organizational change process. Strong partnerships are maintained
between ER, Legal, Disability Management, and Security as many
cases require that the Sr. ERC integrate efforts of one or all of
these areas in managing Employee Relations matters. They are
providing insight and recommendations to process improvements for
Employee Relations topics and processes in other areas that may
benefit from an ER lens.Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides performance management support and coaching to
managers with the intended goal of growing managers' expertise in
- Recommends appropriate management action in response to
performance, EEO/employee relations' issues.
- Provides training and mentoring function to individual ER
consultants as assigned.
- Provides strategic coaching, leadership, and training to
leaders to develop subject matter expertise to mitigate risk.
- In partnership with Leadership Development and Training,
provides training and coaching to managers to increase their
effectiveness in areas of HR management.
- Develops and/or conducts training modules for sexual
harassment, legislative awareness, ADA, affirmative action,
performance management, and disciplinary actions.
- Reviews complaint investigations and documentation by others
for internal/external precedent, applicable law, and potential
liability prior to a recommended resolution.
- Responds to and tracks all employment-related complaints and
allegations related to discrimination, violation of law or unfair
treatment based on age, disability, national origin, race,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status including
complaints regarding harassment of physical, sexual, verbal, or
- Conducts investigations in response to internal complaints.
Facilitates complaint resolution.
- Represents Unum in person and in writing in response to, and
resolution of, external discrimination charges.
- Responds to legal compliance requirements by external
- Advises managers on disciplinary issues including misconduct,
policy practice violations, corrective actions, probation, and
termination. Reviews involuntary terminations and disciplinary
decisions for fairness, consistency, and potential legal
- Regularly uses judgment and discretion to interpret corporate
policy for employees and managers. Encourages reliance on new tools
as they become available and less reliance on individual
- Consults with Disability Management, Legal and management on
FMLA/ADA and Return to Work issues, with Legal on complex
employment issues and on termination issues, and with Security and
Legal on threat issues. Manages conflict resolution and mediation
of issues within client area based upon knowledge of the
organization and HR issues involved.
- Administration of exit interviews, surveys and other
measurements when required. Timely interpretation of measures and
trends shared with the Business Partners and other internal
- Conduct legal assessment and facilitate calibration sessions
for leaders for organizational change efforts.
- Conducts research, data analysis and build trends and themes
decks to provide strategic recommendations to client areas.
- Special projects as assigned.
- May perform other duties as assigned.Job Specifications
- Undergraduate degree preferred
- 3-7 years of related Employee Relations experience and/or broad
HR related experience
- Experience working in a complex organization, preferably
- Experience in a consulting type role, showing the ability to
objectively assess and influence outcomes
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with emphasis on listening and
communicating clearly and succinctly
- Ability to utilize logic and analytic discipline to solve
difficult problems and identify viable solutions
- Experience facilitating others to accomplish a goal
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities and approach work with an
- Experience showing the ability to balance and integrate a
compassionate approach to dealing with sensitive human issues with
a pragmatic approach to making the right business decision.
- Broad knowledge of employment law preferred
- Ability to influence others and exhibit leadership to address
challenging issues with stakeholders
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Excellent writing skills#LI-SH1-IN1Unum and Colonial Life are
part of Unum Group, a Fortune 500 company and leading provider of
employee benefits to companies worldwide. Headquartered in
Chattanooga, TN, with international offices in Ireland, Poland and
the UK, Unum also has significant operations in Portland, ME, and
Baton Rouge, LA - plus over 35 US field offices. Colonial Life is
headquartered in Columbia, SC, with over 40 field offices
nationwide.The base salary range for applicants for this position
is listed below. Unless actual salary is indicated above in the job
description, actual pay will be based on skill, geographical
location and experience.$60,800.00-$106,500.00Additionally, Unum
offers a portfolio of benefits and rewards that are competitive and
comprehensive including healthcare benefits (health, vision,
dental), insurance benefits (short & long-term disability),
performance-based incentive plans, paid time off, and a 401(k)
retirement plan with an employer match up to 5% and an additional
4.5% contribution whether you contribute to the plan or not. All
benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of individual
Keywords: Unum, Chattanooga , Senior Employee Relations Consultant, Professions , Chattanooga, Tennessee
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...