Director of Maintenance Shops
Posted on: September 23, 2022
Director of Maintenance Shops CHATTANOOGA, TNMonday-Friday
8:00am-5:00pmPosition open to remote: Limited
Who We Are: Relentlessly Delivering Big Ideas. U.S. Xpress is one
of the nation's largest asset-based trucking companies. But the
most valuable asset we offer isn't tractors, trailers, or even our
exclusive, cutting-edge technology. It's the collective brainpower
of thousands of visionaries and problem-solvers. Together, we are
revolutionizing the transportation industry by providing
innovative, custom solutions. And, here, we believe in the sanctity
of a promise-both to our customers, and our people. When we focus
our varied talents on reshaping the future of transportation,
that's what we call the POWER OF U.S.
Why U.S. Xpress? Right Role. Right Tools. Right People. We invest
in our talent starting on day one. You will be provided with
personal and professional development opportunities that complement
your interests and encourage you to build a career you're
passionate about. Whether it is employee stock options,
profit-sharing, 401K, professional development, or our competitive
pay, we help prepare you for the future. Be part of an organization
that values out-of-the-box thinking and rewards employees for going
above and beyond. Curious about the other benefits of working with
us? Check out other perks below!
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Unlimited Vacation
- Paid Parental Leave
- Tuition Reimbursement
- On-site work out facility
What You'll Do:This
position will have direct responsibility over the development,
execution of shop operations, equipment readiness & maintenance
development. The position will also be responsible for a safe,
timely and efficient shop operation in order to meet driver needs
shop operations are constantly meeting all federal / state / local
and EPA regulations
- Plan, review, organize, and direct shop maintenance, shop
operation, & repair of equipment while maximizing the revenue goals
of USX. Ensure safe vehicle operations and compliance with
- Direct shop operational improvements, policies, and procedures.
Oversight of equipment scheduling, inside repair, mobile repair,
tooling, equipment utilization and customer satisfaction.
- Manage downtime, safety, quality, productivity and develop
reliable & advanced equipment practices to improve operations,
reliability, and optimized cost.
- Ensure maintenance KPIs are in direct alignment to the overall
corporate strategy. Emphasize company standards for equipment
repair, on-time delivery, cost reduction, quality, safety, employee
relations and other performance measures that support U.S. Xpress,
- Participate in the development of tractor and trailer specs to
ensure equipment aligns to its application / use.
- Provide insight to ensure renovations or design of facilities
to meet all requirements and standardized across facilities.
- Develop programs to deliver customer satisfaction, cost
reduction, quality, safety, and other performance measures that
support U.S. Xpress, Inc.
- Participate in the implementation of innovative ideas or
technology in the department (tooling, software, electric /
Hydrogen / Autonomous vehicles / future).
- Maintain Tractor & Trailer equipment maintenance standards,
strategy and development.
- Analyze work order, warranty and outside repair data for trends
and make recommended process changes to upper management.
- Participate and implement the strategic maintenance plan for
tractors, trailers, equipment assets while partnering with Corp
- Improve department interaction with other departments within
the company (operations).
- Manage vendor relationships in your area of responsibility.
Partner with Corporate Maintenance & Over the Road repair in all
- Identify training and developmental needs, provide
opportunities for learning and growth.
- Creation and review of SOP's, policies and procedures as
required in a maintenance environment.
- Implement the quality review process and reporting (Shop and
- Collaborate inter & cross departmentally, with vendors and
other organization as required to achieve the highest standards of
accountability & success.
- Develop and oversee the quality review process and reporting
(Shop and equipment audits).
- Continually assess performance levels and take timely action to
remove performance barriers.
- Ensures all activities are in accordance with applicable
federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations. Maintain
Subject Matter Expertise in FMCSA Regulations and Recommended
- Partner with equipment onboarding / in servicing and retiring
equipment through the trade/sale process.
- Responsible for supervisory functions such as hiring, training,
evaluating and assisting employees with work related issues;
Provides employee corrective action plans as needed.
- Travels as necessary to assigned maintenance locations, minimum
of 30% travel.
- Perform other duties as needed to support equipment and asset
What We're Looking For: Education
- Bachelor degree in related field or equivalent experience
required. Equivalent years of experience are defined as one year of
professional experience for each year of college requested.
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a Director of tractor
maintenance or in an upper management role.
- Have exceptional knowledge & expertise in fleet maintenance
- Have an extraordinary understanding and the ability to do
complicated ROI justifications with regards to labor, equipment &
- Innovative and forward thinking in both traditional maintenance
techniques and processes as well as future changing technology &
- Policy and Process design
- Knowledge of vehicle components specifically related to the
- Ability to teach, coach, mentor and train
- Ability to communicate with senior management, peers,
technicians and suppliers, both verbal and written.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks with competing high
- Ability to handle fast paced, changing environment.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Well Organized.
- Advanced Computer Skills.(Excel, Word, Visio, PowerPoint,
Supervisory Responsibility: 5-7
Work Environment / Physical Requirements - Normal office
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work
expected for this position. It is not designed to cover or contain
a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities.Employees performing this job may be asked to
perform other duties as required and the responsibilities of the
position may change. Reasonable accommodations will be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
functions. U.S. Xpress is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed
to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce.
Keywords: Xpresstechfreight, Chattanooga , Director of Maintenance Shops, Professions , Chattanooga, Tennessee
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!