Senior Employee Relations Consultant
Posted on: September 15, 2020
Job Posting End Date: 10/30Unum is a company of people serving
people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers
and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits
help protect more than 36 million working people and their families
from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three
distinct, but similarly focused US businesses - Unum US, Colonial
Life, and Starmount Life - are each a market leader in making
disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision
insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US
operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and
Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide.
Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with
over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton
Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence
for Unum in the US.General Summary:The Senior Employee Relations
position delivers a high level of expertise at the individual,
manager, Director and AVP level within an assigned client area.
Professionals serve in a consultative role by providing advice,
guidance and coaching to different levels of management on
performance, EEO and employee relations issues. The primary focus
of their role is to build expertise in managers that they are
coaching. They are responsible for the investigation and management
of all employment related complaints. The Sr. Employee Relations
position is responsible for understanding and balancing the needs
of the business and our clients, while ensuring practical,
consistent application of HR policies and practices.
Due to the often complex issues to be resolved, this position has
significant impact on the manager-employee relationship, and on the
work environment. This Sr. Employee Relations Consultant minimizes
legal exposure for the Company as a result of effective employee
relations consultation and knowledge of employment laws, HR
policies and high level of employee relations expertise.
In addition to their primary role, they also provide a
training/mentoring role for less experienced consultants. They are
recognized as the \"go-to\" functional experts. A collaborative
partnership exists between the Employee Relations Consultant and HR
Business Partner. Pertinent information and expertise is exchanged
on a timely basis thereby facilitating the success of client and
organization initiatives. Strong partnerships are maintained
between ER, Legal, Disability Management, and Security as many
cases require that the Sr. ERC integrate efforts of one or all of
these areas in managing Employee Relations matters.Principal Duties
- Provides performance management support and coaching to
managers with the intended goal of growing managers' expertise in
- Recommends appropriate management action in response to
performance, EEO/employee relations' issues.
- Provides training and mentoring function to individual ER
consultants as assigned.
- In partnership with Leadership Development and Training,
provides training and coaching to managers to increase their
effectiveness in areas of HR management.
- Develops and/or conducts training modules for sexual
harassment, legislative awareness, ADA, affirmative action,
performance management, and disciplinary actions.
- Reviews complaint investigations and documentation by others
for internal/external precedent, applicable law and potential
liability prior to a recommended resolution.
- Responds to and tracks all employment-related complaints and
allegations related to discrimination, violation of law or unfair
treatment based on age, disability, national origin, race,
religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status including
complaints regarding harassment of physical, sexual, verbal or
- Conducts investigations in response to internal complaints.
Facilitates complaint resolution.
- Represents Unum in person and in writing in response to, and
resolution of, external discrimination charges.
- Responds to legal compliance requirements by external
- Advises managers on disciplinary issues including misconduct,
policy practice violations, corrective actions, probation and
termination. Reviews involuntary terminations and disciplinary
decisions for fairness, consistency and potential legal
- Regularly uses judgment and discretion to interpret corporate
policy for employees and managers. Encourages reliance on new tools
as they become available and less reliance on individual
- Consults with Disability Management, Legal and management on
FMLA/ADA and Return to Work issues, with Legal on complex
employment issues and on termination issues, and with Security and
Legal on threat issues. Manages conflict resolution and mediation
of issues within client area based upon knowledge of the
organization and HR issues involved.
- Administration of exit interviews, surveys and other
measurements when required. Timely interpretation of measures and
trends shared with the Business Partners and other internal
- Special projects as assigned.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree preferred
- 3-7 years of related Employee Relations experience and/or broad
HR related experience
- Experience working in a complex organization, preferably
- Experience in a consulting type role, showing the ability to
objectively assess and influence outcomes
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with emphasis on listening and
communicating clearly and succinctly
- Experience facilitating others to accomplish a goal
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities
- Experience showing the ability to balance and integrate a
compassionate approach to dealing with sensitive human issues with
a pragmatic approach to making the right business decision.
- Broad knowledge of employment law preferred
- Ability to influence others
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Excellent writing skills
Physical Abilities Required
- Auto and air travel
- Ability to use PC, telephone and calculator
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and
development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a
culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified
applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement,
without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national
origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or
protected veteran status.
Keywords: Unum, Chattanooga , Senior Employee Relations Consultant, Professions , Chattanooga, Tennessee
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!