Dean - KYCOM
Company: University of Pikeville
Posted on: April 8, 2021
University of Pikeville seeks an innovative and forward-thinking
Dean to lead the Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine (KYCOM)
in Pikeville, Kentucky. KYCOM is ranked second among all D.O. and
M.D. granting medical schools in the U.S. for graduates entering
primary care residencies. Since 1997, KYCOM's guiding principle has
always been to educate physicians to serve underserved and rural
areas, with an emphasis on primary care. Nestled in the beautiful
Appalachian Mountains near a growing regional hospital, KYCOM's
graduates are well prepared to enter high-quality and rigorous
graduate medical education residencies. Approximately 550 medical
students, 30 full-time faculty, and a variety of clinical partners
are part of the KYCOM team. The next Dean will be a
relationship-builder and focus on strategic planning, maintaining
current compliance and accreditation standards, analyzing and
updating curriculum, faculty development, and overall student
performance and satisfaction. The Dean reports to the Provost and
is a position that has wide-ranging responsibilities requiring
knowledge of academic affairs, student development, student
services, policy and compliance, and outcomes assessment, with the
objective of supporting the institution and graduate/health
professional students through development and implementation of
higher education best practices. The position requires extensive
interaction with the Dean of the Kentucky College of Optometry
(KYCO) and other leaders within the University's broader academic
programs, including the Deans of the College of Arts and Sciences,
Coleman College of Business, and the College of Nursing and Human
Services. Key Functions
- Ensure the mission of KYCOM is accomplished.
- Lead a group of Assistant and Associate Deans in addition to
serving as the leader, advocate, and change agent for KYCOM.
- Collaborate with University leadership to effectively manage
- Administer the preparation of materials and documentation
required for continued accreditation of the college by the
Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA) and other
- Engage in strategic planning to foster program improvement and
opportunities for program growth.
- Lead and continue to expand KYCOM's service outreach
initiatives and partnerships throughout Appalachia.
- Champion faculty development, grant writing, and scholarly
activities within KYCOM.
- Oversee recruiting and retaining highly qualified KYCOM
faculty, staff and students.
- Lead an analysis exploring the viability of a secondary KYCOM
campus and, if indicated, lead the development of the campus.
- Represent the university well in all public and private
- Support the Graduate Health Professions Student Affairs unit
and advocate for KYCOM students to ensure they receive the support
required to succeed academically.
- Collaborate with faculty and staff to design, lead, and
implement strategies to support the academic needs of students as
they complete their graduate/health professional studies.
- Collaborate with Kentucky College of Optometry (KYCO) and the
College of Nursing and Human Services (CNHS) in serving the health
needs of the local and regional community.
- Lead basic medical education through jointly appointed faculty
with the Kentucky College of Optometry (KYCO).--
- Serve as a liaison with outside professional
- Collaborate with or serve on various professional schools
- Other responsibilities assigned by the Provost.
- An earned DO degree from a COCA accredited College of
Osteopathic Medicine and experience as a Dean or
Associate/Assistant Dean at an osteopathic medical school.
- Board Certified by an AOA certifying board.
- An unrestricted medical license at some time in career, free of
disciplinary actions or sanctions, board certification at some time
- Ability to obtain an unrestricted medical license issued by the
Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure.
- At least five years of proven experience within the last ten
years in academic leadership roles that include budget management
- Experience with writing high-level grants and development of
- Demonstrated leadership capacity to establish an environment of
excellence in curriculum design, scholarly activity, and patient
- High level of interpersonal and written communication skills
that engender credibility and trust.
- Demonstrated success in leading an organization that has a
complex and fast-changing environment.
- Ability to actively support the mission of the university by
working with diverse students, staff, and faculty to share in and
promote the core values of the University of Pikeville.
- Professional demeanor, discretion, and ability to empathize
with an academic community.
- Critical thinking skills and ability to use data and technology
to continually improve approaches and processes.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Team player; ability to synthesize multiple viewpoints and
reach consensus. Other Duties and Responsibilities This position
requires daily contact with co-workers, student workers,
supervisor, college personnel, students, and alumni. These
relationships are maintained through email, telephone, written, and
person-to-person contact. Additional responsibilities include
representing the graduate and health professional programs at
public events, university-wide student services meetings, and on
both temporary and standing committees. Reports to Supervisory
Responsibility Supervise the Dean's Administrative Assistant,
Assistant and Associate Deans in the Kentucky College of
Osteopathic Medicine. Working Conditions/Physical Demands
- Normal office environment
- Some evening and weekend hours are required
- May spend extended periods at terminal, on telephone, or
operating other office machines, requiring eye-hand coordination
and finger dexterity
- In employment, as in education, University of Pikeville is an
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer The University of
Pikeville offers a competitive salary commensurate with
qualifications and experience. UPIKE offers a competitive benefits
package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance,
telemedicine, long term disability, tuition waivers, a 403(b)
retirement plan, and HSA, FSA, and dependent care accounts. UPIKE
also offers a generous holiday schedule and paid leave program.
Resume' and other application materials will be reviewed to
determine if you meet the required qualifications for the position.
If it is determined that you meet the required qualifications, your
application materials will be used to identify a top group of the
most highly qualified candidates. Please, specifically address the
qualifications, competencies and desired qualifications in your
resume' and application materials. The University of Pikeville is
committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and
working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background
investigations for all final applicants being considered for
employment. Background investigations include a criminal history
record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor
vehicle history. The University of Pikeville is an equal
opportunity employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly
trained faculty and staff. The University of Pikeville does not
discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, sex, gender,
gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age
or disabilities in its programs, activities, hiring, or the
admission of students. Inquiries may be directed to the University
of Pikeville Title IX Coordinator by calling 606-218-5344. For more
information about the University of Pikeville, please visit
http://www.upike.edu.--In addition to the application, interested
applicants are requested to attach to their application a letter of
interest, current resume', copies of their transcripts, and the
contact information for three to five professional references. Date
Department: College of Osteopathic Medicine
Employment Type: Full-Time (40 hours)
Position Type: Staff
Keywords: University of Pikeville, Chattanooga , Dean - KYCOM, Other , Pikeville, Tennessee
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!