Director, HR Business Partner
Posted on: January 15, 2020
Job Posting End Date: 01/19Unum is a company of people serving
people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers
and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits
help protect more than 36 million working people and their families
from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three
distinct, but similarly focused US businesses - Unum US, Colonial
Life, and Starmount Life - are each a market leader in making
disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision
insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US
operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and
Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide.
Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with
over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton
Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence
for Unum in the US.General Summary:As a Human Resources Business
Partner at Unum, you will play a critical dual role on the HR
Business Support team. You will be an essential part of the
organization's leadership team uniting with senior business leaders
to understand the work they do, the challenges they face, and the
goals they are working to achieve today and in the future. You will
use that knowledge to guide, challenge and coach them to ensure
they have the talent capabilities needed to drive and support their
In addition to influencing leadership on organizational design,
talent development, succession planning, and new business
solutions, you will also help develop and drive our approach to
A successful candidate for this role brings a dynamic and
collaborative approach to everything you do. You exemplify what it
means to be a partner, with your HR colleagues, peers and the teams
you support, all of whom seek you out for your guidance and
assistance. You enjoy working with people across the company,
sharing your skills, best practices, and an ability to have
Role is based at our Corporate Headquarters in Chattanooga, TN.
Relocation Assistance will be included.Principal Duties and
- Develop in some cases, and implement in other cases, HR
strategies and action plans that are aligned to and drive
achievement of business objectives. This may be accomplished by
leveraging and integrating key HR levers, including organizational
design, workforce planning, talent data and analytics, talent
acquisition, performance management, identification of employee
potential and succession, total rewards, talent development and
- Drive talents plans aligned with and provide input into the
organization's change management plans, including stakeholder
analyses, communications and training plans, risk identification
and mitigation plans, transition plans, and measures of
- Act as a coach and advisor to business change leads, senior
leaders and managers to help them fulfill their change leadership
roles and build change agility in the organization.
- Use data and analytics to drive talent discussions and
influence the organization.
- Help drive enterprise HR initiatives in the organization and
ensure the organization's talent plans align with enterprise-wide
HR strategies and programs, working closely with other HR Partners
(Staffing, Benefits, Training, Compensation, Employee Relations) as
- Identify and share strategies and solutions that may be
implemented in other business areas to improve organizational
effectiveness with business heads and HR colleagues; drive
implementation where appropriate.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Strong experience (5-7 years) in the field of HR, with a solid
knowledge of all HR functions as key business levers.
- Experience supporting an IT organization preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years of change management experience focusing
on the people side of change. Specific change events may include
workplace transformation, M&A, outsourcing, organizational
restructuring, customer experience transformation, and other
changes affecting large numbers of employees.
- Demonstrated success as an internal consultant, understanding
the broad picture, creating positive outcomes.
- Able to build credibility with all levels of management quickly
through demonstrated expertise, self-confidence, influencing
skills, and insight.
- Strong data analysis skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Demonstrated success analyzing organizational issues and
implementing appropriate solutions.
- Skilled as a facilitator.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with senior
- Strong collaboration skills across business areas and within
- Ability to maintain appropriate balance between business
demands and priorities of the HR organization.
- Ability to manage multiple, competing priorities.
- Strong service orientation.
- Seen as positive and a leader by colleagues.
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and
development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a
culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified
applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement,
without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national
origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or
protected veteran status.
Keywords: Unum, Chattanooga , Director, HR Business Partner, Executive , Chattanooga, Tennessee
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!